An incredible feeling of success comes to those who publish! The hallmark of a professional is the ability to share knowledge through speaking, coaching, training, facilitating, and yes- through publishing.
I recall my first published manuscript in a professional nursing journal; I was thrilled to see my name in print, to read my content (which I then critiqued), and to know that journal readers throughout the country and beyond would be reading my words. Since that time, I published forty-three peer-reviewed manuscripts and guest editorials in that particular journal and over one hundred in other journals. One of those manuscripts was titled, “Writing for Publication.”
Clear, precise writing is an excellent vehicle for communicating ideas and why not write about something you know well- something about which you are a content expert? How does one begin? Try these 5 steps to success as you begin to share your knowledge:
- Choose your topic well (Be able to answer why and what)
- Research your intended (target) publication by knowing what they publish and why
- Separate the thinking and writing phases, understanding and appreciating the writing process
- Follow author guidelines and be prepared for revisions and editing
- Respond in a timely manner to editorial requests and deadlines
I recall my first published manuscript in a professional journal. Now, it is your turn to enjoy your first time in print, or perhaps one of many times in print. The feeling remains the same- that of accomplishment and a thirst for more. There is something magical about the word, “ACCEPTED.” Success truly comes to those who publish!